Shibaura Institute of Technology
Oct 24, 2022
Shibaura Institute of Technology ranked 1201+ in the THE World University Rankings 2022, and 5th among private universities in Japan for "International Outlook"!
Design and Implementation of a Human Resource Development Model for Engineering and Sciences focusing on Value Co-Creative Education- Contribution to Global Sustainability
Shibaura Institute of Technology (SIT) dedicates itself in the development of global sustainability by setting our goal to nurture engineers and researchers with the four key necessary skills required to go out on the international scene, and by developing "SIT Human Resource Development Model" and disseminating it not only through collaboration with other universities in Japan but also through assistance for developing countries.
〈 Four key necessary skills to go out on the international scene 〉
Ability to make mutual understanding and exert it in globalized environment, which is based on a breadth of engineering knowledge and linguistic proficiency
Problem finding and solving skills
Ability to find and solve problems equipped with perspective views and ethics, which enables to evaluate the socio-economic effects of development of technology
Competence to take action from global viewpoints while understanding and accepting different cultures, based on the identity of one's home country
Technology management skills
Ability to find and assign socioeconomic values of emerging technologies on the basis of broad intellectual assets
〈 Shibaura Institute of Technology continue its efforts
for human resource development by: 〉
- Developing practical technology education that makes use of "MONOZUKURI" (Japanese manufacturing) culture.
- Promoting "active learning" where students learn proactively, aiming to create "co-creative education" where professors are also developed at the same time through learning from students.
- Producing a campus full of diversity, where there are faculty, staff and students of diverse nationalities, gender, and religion.
- Reflecting the opinions of faculty, staff and students quickly in the education on the spot.
- Establishing a "GTI consortium" where domestic/overseas universities and Japanese companies will participate in to promote education, research and development through cooperation among industry, academia and government.
9 goals to be achieved by 2023
Ranked within top 10 in Asian science and engineering university ranking
Approximately 30% of all students have been international students
All students have study-abroad experience at least once in the curriculum
More than 80% of students are able to exchange basic information and Make discussion in their own field in foreign languages (CEFR B1 (equivalent to TOEIC® 550 points) or more)
1,200 subjects are offered in foreign languages
"Global PBL", a problem based learning under collaboration with overseas students, has been disseminated to science and engineering universities in Japan
99% of students get job soon after graduation
60% of graduates go to graduate school for further study
60% of faculty and staff have either foreigner or Japanese who have study/work experience abroad